This is the yummiest stewed apple recipe – no sugar required.
This stewed apple is so fast to make and can be eaten at breakfast or even as a dessert with ice-cream.
I avoid sugar and desserts as a rule – so this is usually eaten for breakfast.
The cinnamon speeds up your metabolism, and like the vanilla is loaded with antioxidants protecting our cells by neutralizing free radicals.
Apples are also loaded with antioxidants, as well as fibre, plus they assist weight loss and improve gut health.
Serve these with an organic dairy free probiotic yoghurt, and a omega and plant protein loaded paleo muesli and you have a super gut friendly easy to digest healthy breakfast which will keep you going for hours!
What you need.
- 3 organic apples of choice – I like naturally sweeter apples as I don’t use sugar.
- 2 teaspoons of organic vanilla extract or more if you want!
- 2 teaspoons or organic cinnamon, or again, more if you want! Sometimes I add a pile of the stuff!
- ¼ – ½ cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut sugar – add this only if you feel you need it – sometimes the apples are so deliciously sweet along with the cinnamon and vanilla you don’t want to add something to sweeten them anymore. You can also use Stevia – I just find that it tends to leave a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.
How to make it.
- Peel and core apples – you don’t have to peel them – I don’t always – just depends on the skin of the apple and how much time I have to cook them.
- Pop on stove on low heat with ¼ cup water
- Add cinnamon, and vanilla and simmer on low for 12 – 15 minutes – if they become dry – add more water – if you want to serve them as a dessert – you can add up to a cup of water as it will make them syrupy
- When nearly cooked – taste one (or two or three) and see if they need sweetening and add coconut sugar.
- They are cooked when they are soft, but not slushy – I prefer them just cooked so they are still a tad firm.
Serve whilst still warm.
Would you like help getting your diet on track?
Book a glowing skin consultation and I will help you start your healthy lifestyle!
Thank you for reading my blog!
I am Yvette van Schie, I am a holistic beauty therapist, skin nutritionist, skincare developer and makeup artist. I am passionate about sharing real beauty advice with a whack of reality.
For over 30 years I have worked with the best in the beauty and health industry as a trainer, educator and product formulator and I still do – so my knowledge is diverse – I am not blinkered when sharing my information with you because everyone I speak to shares what they know, and I turn it into easy to digest information because I want my readers to feel empowered to make their own decisions and to feel that they are fully in control of their beauty and well being.